Saturday, June 22, 2019

Alone

 It was the end of a perfect day in the north Maine woods.  There had been dirt roads traveled, brooks explored, and fish caught.  I am on a solo trip up north trying to refresh the mind and soul.

 The best part of the trip was the fact that I have not seen or spoken to another human being for over three days.  No one on the lake, no one on the brooks, not even a hiker on the trails.  I am 50 miles into the woods truly alone.

Now I sit on a secluded beach with my tent set up just feet from the water’s edge and a campfire roaring.

The sun has set, and the sky is fading and with it another day will pass into memory. Memories I won’t soon forget! 

Its solitude I run to, being alone with just my thoughts without the noise of society. For three days I haven’t even heard my own voice. 

 For years I didn’t recognize the real source of my yearning. It was always a “fishing trip”, or a “camping trip”.  The real source of my longing remained elusive to me.

 To be engulfed in an isolation that surrounds me..... as I sit alone or with Lisa by my side, that is my ultimate desire and reward.  This trip I am alone, completely alone.

The sound of the waves lapping rhythmically onto the beach and the crackling of the fire are all I have to keep me company as darkness sets in.  I am totally alone, yet far from lonely.

I love you! Good night,  I whisper into the darkness to my love who is 200 miles away.  

I will see you soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment