Saturday, July 13, 2019

 Are you a picture person or a video person? 

Now keep in mind I just made this up as I sit here so my definition and explanations are my own and since I made it up, I can define it however I want. 

Picture people are folks who are always occupied. Lisa is a picture person. She HAS to be always doing something. I don’t mean just working or puttering but even when she sits and relaxes, she has to be doing something.  Reading a book, looking at Facebook, watching Tv,  her mind seems to require immediate stimulation and she always feeds it with something.

I on the other hand am a video person.  I can sit with nothing but my thoughts for long periods of time.  I can sit outside and simply take in what’s going on around me.  I don’t need a book, no tv, not even a radio is needed.  I can just sit there and observe the world around me and be alone with my thoughts. As I give the specific example coming up it may be more apparent as to what I am trying to say.

If you look at the picture attached you will see a lovely view from our Campsite.  There is a stream flowing by, a nice grassy area were we often sit and woods beyond the brook.  If you look closely you can see a couple ducks sitting on the tree that has fallen into the water.  It’s a lovely spot and for many that is the extent of what they get from this “Picture”,  even if they are sitting right here.  Their mind see’s the immediate picture in front of them and then they are off with other activities, be they mental or physical.  Once they have absorbed the “picture” they see in front of them they move on.  They get the highlights of any situation.  Picture people take in the immediate offering that lies in front of them and as soon as they have taken in what the “picture” has to offer their minds are off to other things.

Video people on the other hand slow down. We slow way down and take in so much that picture people don’t see. 

Next is an account of what I saw while sitting in the same spot looking at this exact view for almost 3 hours today while Lisa read her book.

After only a few moments of sitting still the world around began to come alive with movement and life. At first everything does seem static and picture like when you first look at it.  But just wait and focus on what’s going on around and soon life begins the show. 

 I noticed on the ground below me a trail of black ants working diligently, in line, doing whatever it is that ants do. Do they even know I’m here? Probably not. 

 Soon I started noticing movement in the air around the brook. Bugs of all sizes and shapes were fluttering over and around the stream. Soon I noticed quick, small dimples on the water, but I could not see what was causing them. To small to be fish , yet clearly rings being placed randomly across the waters surface.  After a couple minutes I realized the dimples were caused by dragon flies. Dragon flies dipping their tails in the water as they laid their eggs ensuring the next generation would follow. This activity happens often all summer long.  How many folks have actually taken the time to see the show?

While watching the dragon flies, my eyes catch a small disturbance on the opposite shore of the stream. Watching closely, I noticed a momma Duck with 8 babies silently gliding along the opposite shore weaving in and out of the branches , hoping to escape detection.

As I sat there a little while longer, I heard the hum of a set of hummingbird wings.  Slowly looking up I noticed the fragile bird eating from a feeder just a few feet from my head.

Next came the croak of a big bull frog. Couldn’t see in at first but his resounding croak let me know he was close by. Soon he was slowly swimming beside the shore of our lot and crawled up on the bank to sun himself right in front of me as I quietly watched.

Again, after sitting there silent for a while longer I started to notice all the birds fluttering around in the trees. There was a black bird who would often fly from one side of the stream to the other. Mid-stream he would drop something white into the water?  Not sure what that was but he did it at least 5 times that I saw. Very strange.  Clearly, he had a reason only he knows.

When you are sitting still and focusing solely on the life around you it’s amazing what you can see and hear.  I heard a noise in the tree above me and it was a Nuthatch or as we call them in Maine, ass ups, for the obvious reason they are always on the tree with their head down and their ass up. The small bird was hopping around head down like Nut Hatches do.  Sitting silent I could actually hear the sound of his claws gripping the bark on the tree as he hopped from spot to spot.  Keep in mind this bird weighs ounces!

I am often visited by a beaver who always swims the other shore hoping to escape my view. Today I haven’t noticed him, hopefully he will make a visit.

Look, there is a large black beetle making his way under my chair.  Where is he going?  What mission is he on I wonder, looks like he may be carrying something but I’m not sure.  

Are you a picture person or a video person?  Do you see a quick snapshot of life as it passes you by and then on to another attraction, or do you take the time to savior the moments and truly see the world around you and ALL it is trying to show you?  If you are a picture person, I challenge you to sit quietly, with no distractions and really see what’s going on around you.  I assure you that you will be amazed at what you are missing!  There is a show always going on right outside of your attention. Stop long enough to take it in. You won’t be disappointed!

Update. As I am proofing this my friend the beaver made his appearance and silently made his way long the bank. Thank you, sir!



No comments:

Post a Comment