Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy

 Howdy, Howdy, Howdy

If you ever visited the farm you are familiar with this sound “Howdy, Howdy, Howdy” it would always ring out as you came up the walk in the summer or as you entered the mud room in the winter. 

Somehow Gram always knew you were coming long before you got there. With a melodious tone in her voice, she always greeted you the same way as you entered the house “Howdy, Howdy, Howdy” she would say!

This was the standard greeting from a woman who greeted everyone as a friend and was always glad to see a face at the table to chat with.

She could bake like no one I ever knew. There was no need for recipes cards, she would just pour a little of this and a dash of that. A cup of this mixed with a splash of that and amazingly whatever she worked on always tasted great! 

She made the best molasses cookies with chocolate bits on the planet. I would dare say I had eaten a thousand of them by the time she left us.   Oh, I can smell them still today.   

She always wanted to know what was “new”?  or “what have  you been up to”?

Eating when you visited her was a requirement.  “hungry?” came the question. Most of the time she had already begun preparing something so to decline was pointless. You were hungry even if you didn’t know it!

She kept a journal and wrote in it every day. What a treasure those are. Some days it was just the weather and not much else but most days there was something that could be put on paper.

She had a love for Birds and would watch for them year-round. She had a book to help her identify what she was seeing. Tucked within the pages is a handwritten list of all the birds she saw over the years, it remains tucked right where she last left it.

She wasn’t big on gossip but always made sure we were up on any town “news” that might be of interest. 

She had a worry streak that seemed overactive at times to us kids. She would always warn us about being careful……… don’t do that……. Slow down you gonna run that snowmobile right into the barn. 

In hindsight her worry was probably justified, when I think about the antics and trouble my cousins and I got into throughout the decades, I am sure we put a few more worry lines on her face.

Speaking of face. This may sound strange but if you were ever hugged by her you know what I am about to say is true. She had the softest skin! Her cheeks were so soft it was amazing!  The years of farm life and being outside never took their tole on her skin. They where as soft and supple as a newborn.

I have so many stories I could tell that would put a smile on your face, but I will only share one.  

After Gramp had passed away Gram flew down to Alabama to be apart of a celebration for Jakes graduation from high school. She wanted to see what our life in Alabama was like and her first Great Grandchild’s graduation from high school seemed like as good of a reason as any. 

She flew down and spent the time staying with us at the house. After being there just a short time, she came up to me with a low whisper and said “I have a problem “. “I did something foolish” and she started to chuckle with a hint of embarrassment mixed in.

 She handed me a neatly folded item about the size of a deck of cards but only about as thick as a match book. It was tightly and thoroughly wrapped in Duct tape. Really good Duct tape!     Nothing showed on any side except duct tape. 

What is it I asked? It’s my money! I have all my money for the trip wrapped and secured with duct tape and now it won’t come apart. All I am doing is tearing the bills! she exclaimed! 

I couldn’t help myself, I burst out laughing as she explained the method to her duct tape theory. She took a lot of money for the trip and she didn’t want anyone to steal it, so she wrapped it in duct tape and stuck it in her bra for safe keeping! 

With tears in my eyes from the constant laughter I said, “well Gram it sure is safe!” She let out a chuckle knowing what she did was just a little over the top. 

Don’t worry Gram we will free your money I said with all confidence!

When lisa heard the recent dilemma she immediately knew what to do. We will soak the bundle with Goo Gone repeatedly for about 24 hours.  Although skeptical I had no better plan and didn’t want to admit it so soak we did. 

 Sure enough, Lisa was right, the duct tape peeled off without damaging any of the bills it had so valiantly protected. 

Gram was so happy to have her money and she loved the new citrus smell they all carried being soaked in Goo Gone! 

We all agreed she would find a new plan to get her money safely home and it would NOT have anything to do with duct tape.

I share this story for two reasons, one because frankly its funny and she made the comment while there “there’s a story you can tell on me after I’m gone “.  

“Deal” I said. Promise kept.

But secondly, I want to bring her to the attention of all my family, friend, and anyone who knew her. 

You see March 14th is her Birthday. She was born in 1919 and this Sunday she would have been 102 if my math is correct.

She was a one of a kind who loved her family, friends, and the life her and Gramp made together more than anything on earth.

She laid down for a nap on May 29th, 2007 and never woke up. 

She was tired and alone as Gramp had been gone for almost 4 years.

 I think she just gave up.

I never got to say goodbye.  When Gramp passed 4 years earlier I was able to give him one last hug, to look him in the eyes and tell him I loved him. 

With Gram I had no such gift, she was simply there one minute and gone the next.

 She had been a central figure in my life and the life of Lisa and my boys.  

Always there to offer a cookie, always there to ask, “what’s new?” and always there to give out the much-appreciated hugs. Hugs she became famous for within our family. 

That day she laid down for a short afternoon nap, but that day her time with us was over.

I have always struggled with the issues of heaven, hell, God, the devil, and all things eternal. Thing’s man has been struggling with for thousands of years.

 I am not always sure what I believe and what I don’t.

 But what I want to believe is as she slipped away from us that day, as she left her family behind, she was greeted on the other side by Gramp joyously saying. 

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy



No comments:

Post a Comment