Monday, May 24, 2021

Last Night.

 


It’s the last night of my solo trip .

 It’s been a great time .

The weather has been almost perfect .

A little breezy during the day but mornings and evenings it has calmed down for the fishing and that is all that I can ask for.

I will be sad to leave tomorrow .

There is still so much to do in this new area.

I will get up a little after 4 like I have all week and will be on the water by 4:30 for one last dance with the lake and the fish .

I do miss Lisa that’s for sure . 

We are not apart much anymore .

There was a time when we were apart a lot for work and we got used to it . 

One year I spent 187 nights away traveling for work !

Not anymore.

With no cell service here I can get out one text a day.

When I drive down this one road there is a 100 yard stretch of road that I can get 1 bar LTE.

One foot either way NOTHING. Stay within the zone and 1 bar LTE ! 

Just enough to send off a note .

Just a quick note to report in that all is well, and I miss her . I usually drive out after my morning fishing .

She would be ok if I didn’t report in at all,  and on some trips reporting in is not an option but I know she worries about me up here alone.

 So I make the trip and send off my report .

Each night even though she knows I won’t get it until morning, she texts me “good night love you “ as she crawls into bed.

We say it every night to each other as we settle in for the night, a ritual that has lasted 37 years now.

Each night around the campfire when I think she is headed to bed I whisper “ good night, love you “ into the darkness.

I get my “good night” message each morning when I hit my 100 yard stretch of signal .

She knows my message will never be heard, yet will always be sent .

14 miles down a dirt road . Send the note, get a note and 14 miles back .

Although I am sad to have to leave tomorrow , I will be going home just a little better than when I got here .

No, trips like this don’t change the world or solve all your problems .

No, they won’t take away worries or fix anything that may be broken in your life .

They can’t erase heartache or poor choices .

Trips like this can’t do any of that .

But I will go home tomorrow just a little bit better than when I got here Monday .

I will be ...... well ..... just a little more of who I used to be .......

A little more….

 Me.

I love you good night .

No comments:

Post a Comment