Thursday, July 22, 2021

Time


 

The wind is playing havoc with the smoke coming off the fire pit. No matter where I set my chair it seems to follow me almost instantly. 

I settle into a new spot, and I slowly close my eyes as they are burning from the smoke,  as I listen I am instantly 40 years in the past.

I hear the crackling of the fire being drowned out by familiar voices from days gone by. 

 There’s Dennis he’s talking with Paula about playing golf. 

That’s Dave, he’s joking with Denise and Rhonda, I can’t make out what he’s saying but as usual if Dave’s talking people are laughing.  

To my left Mary and Molly are talking quietly. 

I can’t hear Alison but that’s not surprising her quiet and gentle demeaner hasn’t changed a bit in 40 years.

As I slowly open my eyes time fast forwards to the present and the reality of its passing can be seen.

I am at a small impromptu gathering of classmates pulled together at the last minute. Our mission is to visit around a firepit with Dennis, who is home for a quick visit from the west coast.

The evening started with hugs all around as we all slowly slipped back in time.

 There were stories told, memories questioned and laughter,  yes lots and lots of laughter.

Now even though it was a small group, and we live in the same town, there were several at the fire who I had not spoken with in 39 years. 

No, since the day we walked away with our gowns on and cap in hand, our paths simply never crossed.

The rest I have seen in passing but never much more than a casual  “Hello , how are you?” and we would be off again buried in our separate lives.

And yet, as though time had never passed,  our ability to reconnect and slip back into each other’s lives, if only for an evening,  seemed effortless. 

I know this will sound strange and I am not sure I can explain it, but the passing of time seemed to almost bring us closer together.

 I had meaningful conversations with classmates I rarely spoke with all those years ago. 

Was it maturity on our part at this point in life or simply a change in priorities and attitudes? 

I don’t know but to me it seemed easier somehow than it did all those years ago.

As the evening wore on memories reconnected us as we sat around a the smokey fire that played the ringmaster to it all.

 What seemed apparent to me was that time and our current place in it, seems to have closed  the gap that existed between us so many years ago, as caring and a genuine appreciation for each other filled the void. 

 I’m not sure that makes any sense and I’m sure it’s my inability to explain it that’s lacking.

All I know is for about three hours last night I was back in 1982 and I truly enjoyed the visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment